RPAS – Drone Advanced Pilot Ground School July 12 to 14, 2024
Edmonton YEG Airport
In Canada, advanced RPAS/drone pilot training readies individuals for the Advanced Operations Certificate under Transport Canada’s regulations. The programs include 20 hours of ground school.
The Advanced Operations Certificate is required for individuals who intend to operate drones in more complex airspace or for specialized operations such as flying in controlled airspace, conducting operations near airports, or operating larger or heavier drones.
Advanced RPAS / drone pilot training program
Our Advanced RPAS / drone pilot training programs covers a range of topics beyond basic drone operation and safety. This prepares individuals to write the Advanced RPAS / Drone Pilot Exam administered by Transport Canada. Topics often include the Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) – TP 15263 (For complete list of subjects please see TP15263)
- Air Law and Regulations: Understanding Canadian aviation regulations, including airspace classification, requirements for flying in controlled airspace, and regulations specific to drone operations.
- Advanced Flight Planning: Planning and conducting flights in complex airspace, including obtaining necessary permissions or airspace authorizations from air traffic control and other authorities.
- Emergency Procedures: Strategies for handling emergency situations during drone operations, including loss of control, equipment failure, or unexpected weather conditions.
- Human Factors: Understanding human factors that can affect drone operations, including factors related to pilot performance, decision-making, and situational awareness.
- Risk Assessment and Management: Assessing and managing risks associated with drone operations, including identifying potential hazards and implementing mitigation measures.
- Payloads and Specialized Operations: Training on specific payloads or equipment used for specialized drone operations, such as aerial photography, mapping, surveying, or inspection.
- Operational Procedures: Developing and implementing standard operating procedures for safe and efficient drone operations, including pre-flight checks, communication protocols, and record-keeping requirements.
- Navigation and Weather: Understanding principles of navigation and interpreting weather forecasts to ensure safe and legal drone operations.
- Communication and Collaboration: Communicating effectively with other airspace users, air traffic control, and regulatory authorities, and collaborating with stakeholders for successful drone operations.
- Theory of Flight and RPAS Systems: Understand the principles allows for the safe and effective operation of both piloted aircraft and drones, whether for recreational, commercial, or military purposes.
Advanced RPAS / drone pilot training ground school offers in person training with highly skilled instructors. Classroom instruction included 20 hours of training and options are available for practical flight training. Thus to ensure that pilots have the knowledge and skills required to operate drones safely and legally in advanced operational environments.